Organizational History and Recent Accomplishments
Named NEWSWEEK magazine Best school – 2014
Horizon Science Academy Cleveland High School (HSA) was created as a tuition-free college preparatory high school in Cleveland. Since its inception in 1999, HSA has achieved rapid progress in its mission to prepare graduates for 21st century careers. The academic regimen is grounded in a strong conviction that in order to succeed after graduation students must be prepared for careers in a technology-based future. HSA was designed to address the shift from a manufacturing economic base to a global science and knowledge-based economy. The school provides an innovative, standards-based curriculum with an emphasis on math, science and technology.
In its first decade of operation, HSA has assembled a long list of accomplishments including:
- Bronze medal for outstanding achievement by US NEWS AND WORLD REPORT news magazine – best high school 2010
- National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence – 2009
- A 100% college acceptance rate for the class of 2008, 2009, 2010
- Bronze medal for outstanding achievement by US NEWS AND WORLD REPORT news magazine – best Charter School for 2008
- A rating of EXCELLENT by the Ohio Department of Education (ODE) in 2008
- School of Promise Awards by ODE – 2008 and 2009
- Title I National School of Distinction Recognition 2008
Bound by a deep belief that all children can succeed, and must succeed in order to lead, teachers, parents and guardians, guidance counselors, and administrators have developed a team approach to learning that has proven successful at Horizon Science Academy.